Some organizations require that project expenses first be approved by the client before it can be billed. This process likely involves a mountain of paperwork with expense reports being printed out, signed, and filed away. Rather than killing all those trees, instead consider letting Projector handle all this data processing instead. With our audit trails, reports, and history features - we'll keep track of all that paperwork for you.
This help page will:
- Show you how to configure Projector for expense approval by clients
Configure Projector for client-based expense approvals.
Create a Client User
Before a client can approve expenses, they need to be able to log into Projector. That means they need a user profile. See Client Users for instructions on creation.
Make Client an Approver
As you should recall, expense approvers are determined on a per-project basis. Visit each project and make sure that the client user is an expense approver. Here is a quick rundown of the expense approval methods we allow and what you should take into consideration.
- The project's acting PM team - this is a good choice so that both the client and your project managers can approve time
- Engagement Manager - does not work well with client-based time approval since you should have a 'real' EM
- Project Manager - does not work well with client-based time approval since you should have a 'real' PM
- Project Manager for team, Engagement Manager for PM - does not work well with client-based time approval since you should have a 'real' EM/PM
- Resource/Disbursing Cost Center-Based Approvers - this is an okay choice if you can easily limit expenses by cost center. But be careful here or your clients could end up seeing and approving expenses for projects outside their purview
- Find Approver - good choice if a single client user does the approvals
If you are worried about a client user logging into Management Portal and mucking around - don't be. Client users can't log into Management Portal. They are limited to Projector Web.
Save a Search
To help your clients, save a public search that makes finding cards to approve easy. In my search below, I look for all cards awaiting approval for the current month.
Educate Your Clients
You'll need to teach your clients how to do expense approvals. Please point them to our help page dedicated to this purpose.