Permissions and Settings
To enable this section turn on Advanced Analytics from the Modules Editor.
To make changes on this tab you must have the global permission System Settings set to Update.
Just Getting Started?
Consider working with one of our PowerBI partners to help you get PowerBI licensing, help with your Projector configuration, and training on building your first dashboards.
Configure PowerBI Instance
Projector requires a specific setup of PowerBI in order to show dashboards within our platform. It must meet the following requirements:
PowerBI Pro - at least one user needs to be on a Pro account.
Two Factor Authentication
Two-factor authentication must be OFF for this user
- Microsoft Azure - you have an Azure subscription
App Owns Data PowerBI instance tied to Azure - if you don't already have a PowerBI instance tied to Azure you can create one using this link https://app.powerbi.com/embedsetup/appownsdata
If you already have an application you can get the application ID from https://portal.azure.com/#blade/Microsoft_AAD_RegisteredApps/ApplicationsListBlade. You can get the workspace ID by logging into https://app.powerbi.com and opening the workspace tied to your Azure application. Look in the URL for the workspace ID. If you aren't sure if your PowerBI is tied to an App Registration, it's easiest to follow the link above and create a new one. You can publish your existing reports to the new space.
When creating your application request API permissions for the following
After creating your application note the Application ID and Workspace ID
- API Access Enabled - under your App Registrations in Azure, open your application and go to API Permissions. If you requested permissions as suggested above you'll need an administrator to grant them. If you already have an app, grant the permissions by click Add a permission | Delegated permission | Select the Read permissions | click Grant admin consent for.
- User set to Admin - If the user accessing content via the API isn't already a workspace Admin, make them one at https://app.powerbi.com | Workspaces | Access.
Create PowerBI Content
If you do not already have content in your PowerBI instance, create at least one report. If everything is configured correctly you should see that reports are owned by the application and not by a specific user. In the screenshot below the name of our registered application is Power BI Embed PoC.
Point Projector at PowerBI Instance
Before you can start adding PowerBI dashboards you'll need to register your PowerBI instance with Projector. This is done from the Integrations tab | Advanced Analytics/BI subsection | MS Power BI blue dot. Enter your application ID and credentials.
- Enter your application ID - if you do not know your ID see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embed-sample-for-your-organization#application-id
- Click Set Credentials and enter your username and password - requires the use of a Master Account with a PowerBI Pro license. Enter the master account's case-sensitive username and password here. Two-factor authentication is not supported
- Restart Management Portal
Pull Projector Data into PowerBI
PowerBI pulls data from Projector's reports tab. If you don't already have a Projector report accessible over the web, make one.
The following examples use PowerBI's desktop software.
Use Get Data | Web to connect to your Projector data.
Once you have a report's URL, paste it into the form and Connect
The simplest way to get started is to build a table. In the screenshot below we have connected to a Ginsu report.
Publish PowerBI Dashboard
Once your dashboard is configured, Publish it to a workspace.
We need to figure out how to create workspaces and identify that it has been associated with an app registration.
View on Web
Find your new dashboard in the workspace at https://app.powerbi.com. Copy the URL into notepad or another text editor. It should look something like this:
You'll need to extract two, thirty-six character codes out of the URL to put into Projector. The first is the Workspace ID. The second is the Report ID. In the above URL they would be:
- Workspace ID = 7b087de2-53a5-4cc7-b51d-0d780508debb
- Report ID = 0c06c76a-0745-4a13-8bbd-abc108388407
We'll be using them in the next section.
If you have shared your report correctly it will show up like the screenshot below.